7 Dangerous Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

Just like people, dogs can be allergic to certain foods. But unlike people, they can’t tell us when they’re feeling sick. So, it’s up to us to be aware of the dangerous foods dogs might consume. To help you keep your furry friend safe, we’ve compiled a list of dangerous foods your dog should never eat. From common household items to food that might be sitting in your fridge right now, read on to learn more about what could potentially harm your dog.


Chocolate is one of the most dangerous foods your dog can eat. Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, which is poisonous to dogs. Theobromine affects the dog’s nervous system and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even death. Even a small amount of chocolate can be deadly for a small dog. If you think your dog has eaten chocolate, call your veterinarian immediately.

Grapes and raisins

While grapes and raisins are healthy for humans, they can be dangerous for dogs. Even a small amount of grapes or raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. Call your veterinarian immediately if you think your dog has eaten grapes or raisins.

Onions and garlic

Onions and garlic are the most dangerous foods your dog can eat. Both vegetables contain high thiosulfate levels, which can cause life-threatening anemia in dogs. Your dog may need immediate medical attention if it ingests even a small amount of onion or garlic. Symptoms of onion or garlic poisoning in dogs include weakness, lethargy, collapse, and difficulty breathing. If you think your dog has eaten either of these vegetables, please immediately call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.


Xylitol is a sugar alcohol commonly used as a sweetener in many products, including gum, candy, baked goods, and toothpaste. It is also found in some over-the-counter medications and vitamins. Xylitol is safe for humans, but it is poisonous to dogs.

When a dog ingests xylitol, its blood sugar levels drop quickly, and it may experience seizures, vomiting, and weakness. In severe cases, xylitol ingestion can lead to liver failure and death. If you suspect your dog has eaten anything containing xylitol, please immediately call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.

Coffee, tea, and energy drinks

Many dangers come with feeding your dog coffee, tea, and energy drinks. These beverages contain caffeine, which is a stimulant that can be harmful to your dog’s health. Caffeine can cause your dog to become hyperactive, anxious, and even experience seizures. It is important to keep these drinks away from your dog at all costs.


When it comes to your dog, alcohol is a big no-no. Like humans, alcohol consumption can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, loss of coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, and even coma. In severe cases, it can be fatal.

If you think your dog has consumed alcohol, it’s important to seek professional medical help immediately. Symptoms can take several hours to appear and can last for days. Be sure to keep an eye on your furry friend and if they seem off, make an appointment with the vet immediately.

Raw meat and bones

Raw meat and bones can be dangerous for your dog to eat. Bones can splinter and cause internal damage, while raw meat may contain bacteria that can make your dog sick. Ask your veterinarian for guidance if you’re unsure about what kind of meat or bones are safe for your dog to eat.


There are a lot of dangerous foods out there that your dog should never eat. In this article, we’ve listed some of the most common ones. We hope you’ll take this information seriously and keep your dog away from these dangerous foods. Remember, your dog’s health is in your hands.

Back to top