Household Items that Are Toxic to Dog

Looking after a pet is just like looking after a toddler. We’ve all heard the warnings: keep your pet away from toxic household items. But what about things that are toxic to dogs? In this article, we’ll look at some of the most common household items toxic to dogs and how to avoid them.

What are some common toxic household items to dogs?

One of the most common toxic household items to dogs is cleaning products. Many contain harmful chemicals that can harm your dog’s health if ingested. Other potential toxins include plants, pesticides, and other chemicals found in outdoor debris. If you’re unsure if an item is toxic to your dog, consult your veterinarian.

How can you avoid giving your dog these toxic substances?

The good news is that some household items are toxic to dogs, so you can avoid them by being aware of what they are. Here are five of the most common offenders:

  1. Alcohol: While it may seem harmless, alcohol can be extremely dangerous to your dog if ingested in large quantities, and it can cause intoxication, vomiting, and even death in dogs. If your dog consumes any amount of alcohol, take him to the vet for a check-up.
  2. Carpet shavings: While these may seem like a harmless product, carpet shavings can be extremely harmful if ingested by your dog. They contain chemicals that can cause intestinal blockages and even death in smaller pets. If your dog has access to carpet shavings, make sure he doesn’t eat or play on them – just like with alcohol, any amount will be dangerous.
  3. Plants: Many plants are poisonous to dogs – even those you might think aren’t harmful. For example, lilies and daisy plants contain toxins that can be deadly if a small pet ingests. If your dog encounters any type of plant while outdoors, make sure he does not chew any plant, as you would are unaware which one could prove to be toxic for the feline baby.

What should you do if your dog has already eaten one of these substances?

If your dog has already eaten one of these substances, you should first call your veterinarian. These substances can be very dangerous to dogs and cause serious health problems. If your dog has already eaten one of these substances, it’s important to get them to the vet as soon as possible.


If you have a dog, it’s important to be aware of the many household items that can be toxic to your pet. Some common offenders are antifreeze, paint, weed killers, and some vitamins and supplements. When it comes to toxicity in dogs, anything is possible. So always keep an eye out for any unusual symptoms and consult with your veterinarian if you’re worried about your dog’s health.

Back to top